Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Already! - Native American Heritage Celebration


It seems like the holiday season has sneaked up on us so quickly! Halloween has already passed, and Thanksgiving is next week. It doesn't seem possible! I enjoy all the fall festivities, the foliage and the smells! When I was growing up I remember playing outside in the chilly, damp weather, kicking around crunchy (or soggy) autumn leaves and smashing acorns. I will still go slightly out of my way to step on a crunchy-looking leaf. :)

This year I am assisting Luke in Real Estate at Keller Williams Elite. It is my first year not to teach school, or be in school, and it is a different experience. About this time my class would be learning about our first Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims and Native Americans, going to a Pumpkin Patch, and enjoying their parents coming to school to eat a Thanksgiving feast with them! A few years ago I went to my nephew's school and ate the exact same meal we had when I was in school (right down to the odd tasting, orange sprinkled, pumpkin shaped cookie). I guess I can give them a gold star for consistency..... It is definitely the time of year for family fun and activities!

Learning about why we do the things we do, as well as history of our Native people can always serve as an asset to us. When we as a people don't pay attention to where we have come from and drudge unknowing into our future, lessons we could have otherwise avoided are bound to repeat themselves. Although I realize one fun lunch event may not change the course of our lives, we can still enjoy getting to know about our Native Heritage in Oklahoma and may be take time to reflect how our lives have been shaped as a result of what was.
The Native American Heritage Celebration looks to be an enjoyable time of storytelling, singing and dancing, as well as a free lunch (featuring traditional foods)!

Enjoy this time of reflection and family fun! We will continue to try to keep you updated on Local Flavor as the hustle and bustle sweeps the City!

Blessings,
Myriah Walker

What: Native American Heritage Celebration-  “The Shared Journey: The Resiliency of our Native People.”

When: Monday, Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:00am - 2:00pm



Where: The Central Oklahoma Home Builders Event Center, 420 E Britton Rd., Oklahoma City


For More Information Call: 522-1611


Visit the Source: http://wimgo.com/oklahoma-city-ok/native-american-heritage-celebration/events/280230#ixzz2CKIid88i



Luke "Sky" Walker
Realtor©
Keller Williams NW
405.535.3151

www.LukeWalkerHomes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment